Alexa mockup to apply for a Coronavirus test comfortably from home avoiding websites.
Hey, Alexa, make an appointment for a corona test
To make this mockup, I used Natural Reader, downloadable text-to-speech desktop software for personal use. This easy-to-use software with natural-sounding voices can read to you any text.
The subsequent step to customize and develop this mockup properly takes place inside Alexa’s interface. We need access to the «Alexa Skills Kit» (ASK) a software development framework that enables the user to create content: skills. Skills are like apps.
This a sophisticated process that requires software development skills as well as an understanding of how «Machine learning» works. – the study of computer algorithms that improve automatically through experience and by the use of data. And that is exactly what makes Alexa evolve incredibly fast.
- Alexa, open the COVID-TEST application, please.
- Welcome to the COVID-TEST-BOOKING App.
- I need to apply for a test.
- Sure, what kind of test do you need?
- What kind of test can I apply for?
- You can apply for a PCR, Antigen Test or Antibody Test.
- Ok, then apply for an Antigen Test, please.
- Ok, where do you want to do it?
- At Messe Testation.
- Ok, when do you want to do it?
- On Monday in the Morning, is that possible?
- No. The next free spot is on Monday at 17:45. Does it work for you?
- Not really, what about Tuesday at 9:30?
- Yes, Tuesday at 9:30 is still free.
- Ok, then book it.
- Ok, your appointment for Antigen Test on Tuesday at 9:30 in Messe Testation is booked.
- Thank you, Alexa.
- You are welcome.
Daily tasks easily approachable
Coronavirus tests have become part of our daily life. To request an appointment, users have to do it either through web pages or through a phone call.
My intention with this Alexa mockup is to give the possibility to people who are not familiar with web pages or those who have some sort of handicap that can make this method difficult to approach, such as the elderly, who are the main protagonist of this whole pandemic story.
Through this Alexa service, the task of making an appointment for any type of coronavirus test is as easy and as fast as talking is.
Interacting with the world through the ears
Design is always related to visual meanings but it actually shouldn’t, at least not completely.
Our audition sense is becoming more and more important. It’s the second channel through that human beings collect information from the outside world and designers start to take it into account.
Alexa, Siri, and all the voice-activated interfaces surrounding us are gaining importance because they help us turn daily tasks into easy issues to deal with.
Every new scenario that we could implement into these useful partners will be a good investment of time and resources.